2022 AP Student Art Exhibit: Fast Questions with This Year’s AP Artists

Catherine Yan ’24

From 7-8 pm on April 4th, 2022, students, teachers, and visitors gathered at the Warren Family Gallery for a night full of conversation and art appreciation. The exhibit in the Warren Family Gallery changed from the previous Senior Selfies exhibit to the wide variety of work from AP Art students. I asked this year’s AP art students three questions to learn more about their creative process and artistic intent. 

Maggie Shen

What’s your concentration?

My concentration is “echo”, the interaction between two entities. 

What was your inspiration? 

I love taking photos in the city and I like taking photos of people around me. I enjoy the cute interactions between people and between people and their environment. 

What is your favorite piece?

I always change my favorite piece because I see places I can do better. Right now my favorite piece is the piece with the two people. I like the contrast between light and dark, the shadows, and the different textures. 

Graham Hynes

What’s your concentration?

My concentration is intrusion. 

What was your inspiration? 

I like thinking of individuals that are unique in their environment, or things that don’t belong. Also, seeing other people’s artwork inspired me, especially the other AP students. 

What is your favorite piece?

I like this one just because it’s different from everyone else. It was inspired by a story that I came up with and a lot of my other pieces are really driven by a story. The idea is that this animal was walking and got decked out. 

Midori Fitzgerald

What’s your concentration?

My concentration is distortions – looking at different objects through different angles and different weather that you would not see in your normal day-to-day life. 

What was your inspiration?

At the beginning of the year, I had no idea what I wanted to do. As I explored, I found that I was really into shadows and different angles. I thought about it more, and the common theme was distorting things. I went with that and it’s what I resonated with. 

What is your favorite piece?

It’s probably one of my family’s favorite pieces, as well as mine, which is the man walking on the beach with his dog. 

Abby Vernali

What’s your concentration?

My concentration, very broadly, is “hands”. I incorporated hands into an expansive idea – that hands are a universal form of communication, thought, and expression. It does not have the boundary of language because it’s universal to everyone. 

What was your inspiration?

At first, I started my Summer work, which was all over the place. Then, when I came back to school and started doing more pieces, it all incorporated hands. So I was like, hands. 

What is your favorite piece?

The brain piece. It’s a watercolor piece and it has an emotional connection to me. Sometimes, I feel like my mind is a puppet, there are a lot of things I can’t control. I’m very much a perfectionist and there are some things I can’t fight. My mind is my savior but it also holds me as a prisoner. 

Jessica Lomo

What’s your concentration?

Ghanian culture. 

What was your inspiration?

The feel of home. 

What is your favorite piece?

This one, because it represents my childhood. This is what I always did as a kid, this is what I used to play. We didn’t have playhouses or anything so we would just break up a bicycle tire to make it fun. This is basically me, it’s Jessica and the toys.

Thai An Rosario

What’s your concentration?

My concentration is on how the male gaze affects women’s self-esteem and self-image. 

What was your inspiration?

I started off by exploring Greek mythology, and I found myself exploring stories that are women-centered. I wanted to do how women are portrayed in Greek mythology, but I found that to be a bit limiting. From there, I expanded to how women are portrayed in society and how that makes us feel. 

What is your favorite piece?

Cupid’s Consent. It’s about unsolicited compliments. It focuses on the idea of Cupid shooting an arrow at someone, it’s supposed to be seen as flattering. However, when it is unprompted, it can make people feel really uncomfortable. Literally like arrows in your back. 

Lal Celikbulek

What’s your concentration?

My concentration is comfort and discomfort. 

What was your inspiration?

It was an umbrella for the pieces I wanted to do. I thought it would connect all the ideas I had together. 

What is your favorite piece?

My favorite piece is the comic book one with my cat. 

Grace Monahan

What’s your concentration?

My concentration has a lot to do with reflecting images and how images look next to one another. 

What was your inspiration?

I love telling stories with my images, so I like showing unique people, places and expressions. I like telling vivid stories. 

What is your favorite piece?

The lady carrying the child. It’s very unique, the lady’s expression is strong and the story is strong. 

Sammie Glogoff

What’s your concentration?

I’m undecided right now. However, I’m going to focus on distortion and abstraction.

What was your inspiration?

Most of them came as a spur of the moment – I saw it, I liked it and I shot it. I can speak specifically for one of my photos, which is the jellyfish. It was the beginning of Covid, during my sophomore year. We were all online and he [Mr. Banevicius] assigned us a project of abstraction. I was walking down the beach and came across the jellyfish, shot it and went back a few times and edited it. It ended up winning one of the [Scholastic] awards last year. It was really fun.

What is your favorite piece?

I love the repetition of the windows and the symmetry of the shot. I love that there’s a difference in the window panes and how many are different in each. 

Ben Cabot

What’s your concentration?

My concentration is “other worlds”, it’s how I see the world, a little picture into my imagination. 

What was your inspiration?

I usually go on walks and hikes and everything else is from my imagination. I also get inspiration from shows I’m watching, or things I’m interested in at the time. 

What is your favorite piece?

My favorite piece is the Floata. 

Caroline Kerner

What’s your concentration?

My concentration is myself. It began with self-portraiture and took its own route from there. 

What was your inspiration?

I just started painting, drawing, and making art and it fell into its own place. I took inspiration from what was near me, what was closest to me, and it ended up being myself. 

What is your favorite piece?

Probably the eye that I drew with chalk pastel. I drew it from an image and was pleased with how I used the chalk pastel to draw it from a funky position. 

This year’s AP Art Exhibition was an inspiring glimpse into the diverse, thoughtful creations of our Berkshire artists; these AP 5-worthy pieces truly demonstrate the talent in Berkshire’s Visual Art department. Let’s wish our AP art students luck when they submit their portfolios to College Board on May 6th!