Pan-Asian Students Celebrate the Moon Festival

Berkshire’s Asian Affinity group gathered in the living room of the Wu-Davis’s house on one beautiful fall afternoon to celebrate a special day for all pan-Asians. This year’s Moon Festival, also known as the Mid-Autumn Festival, was on September 21, 2021. 

The festival, which falls on the 15th day of the eighth month in the lunar calendar – the night when the moon is at its brightest and fullest – celebrates the harvest of crops following the summer. The festival also has a captivating tale associated with it.

The tale tells that the Earth once had ten suns, nine of which were shot down by the great archer Hou Yi at the request of the Emperor of Heaven. He was then awarded with the elixir of immortality, which he hid at home and planned to share with his wife Chang’e. While Hou Yi was away hunting, his wicked apprentice came to his home to steal the elixir and was caught by Chang’e. To keep it out of his hands, Chang’e drank the potion and ascended to the moon. Ever since, people who look hard into the moon are said to be able to see Chang’e’s likeness looking back, and the festival became a pleasant gathering time with family and friends.

Pan-Asian students gathered in Dr. Wu’s house and helped put together tofu curry, grilled chicken, tteokbokki (Korean rice cake), Japanese beef curry, green beans, and spring noodles. Mei, Dr. Jing’s wife, brought delicious homemade steamed pork buns, undoubtedly one of the most popular dishes that evening. These dishes are native to many of the countries represented by Berkshire’s pan-Asian students.

The food was devoured in an hour by all the hungry students and faculty present at Dr. Wu’s house. They appreciated the food, played card games, conversed, and spent time with Scooter and Coco, the Wu-Davis’s adorable dogs. The event began late in the afternoon and ended late in the evening, with a never ending supply of energy in the living room.  Thank you, Dr. Wu and Dr. Davis, for bringing together Berkshire’s pan-Asian family to celebrate the Moon Festival on campus!